Home Care Information

A variety of services are available depending on needs and payment source. Services may be paid for privately while other programs offer financial assistance to help pay for needed services. For more information about available services, contact the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Aging and Disability Services at (800) 262-2232.

Home care services can be provided by staff from an agency, some family members depending on the rules of the program or by staff hired by the home care consumer.

Maximus Ascend does assessments for consumers who are seeking home care services. The assessment is confidential and free of charge. Call Maximus Ascend at (833) 525-5784.

If you or a family member would like to learn more about available home care services, here are some other options:

  • Contact a home care agency directly.
  • If you are in a hospital or nursing home, talk with the social worker.
  • Contact the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Aging and Disability Services at (800) 262-2232.
  • Call your local Area Agency on Aging. If you call, toll-free, (877) 353-3771 you will be connected with the agency that serves your area. They can also tell you about other resources such as Meals on Wheels and transportation assistance.
  • Call the Ombudsman Program at (800) 499-0229 or (207) 621-1079.

Home Care Consumer's Rights

Consumers who receive home care services have rights that are guaranteed by regulation. Home Health Care Services providers are required to protect and promote these rights. Ombudsman Program staff assist home care consumers and their family members in understanding and exercising their rights.

Home care recipients have the right to:

  • Have written notice of their rights
  • Have their property respected
  • Voice grievances without fear of retaliation
  • Participate in the planning of care and treatment
  • Have advance notice of care that will be provided and frequency of visits
  • Have confidentiality in care and treatment
  • Be informed in advance about charges for services
  • Have written notice of discharge, transfer and appeal rights fourteen days before services are terminated
  • Be given information about how to file a complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services Division of Licensing and Certification, the Office of Aging and Disability Services and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
  • Be free from neglect, misappropriation of property and verbal, physical, sexual or emotional abuse

Consumer Guide to Home Care Services and Consumers' Rights

The Ombudsman Program offers a consumer guide to home care services and consumers' rights. This guide is written especially for home care consumers and their family members and is available upon request. Call us at (800) 499-0229 or (207) 621-1079 to request a copy or click here to review and print.